so this weekend

Was interesting, to say the least. It was filled so much ridiculousness and absurdity, I can’t even describe it. To start off, I must explain that my mom and her boyfriend had taken a trip to Chicago to spend some time with her siblings so I had the house all to myself…and Tiggher. Calvin spent the weekend at the lake with his family and I knew I would be stuck at home alone with nothing to do, so I decided to make the most of it and put together a massive party/sleepover for a bunch of my friends. Friday night was fairly basic with pizza, channel surfing, and my two friends crashing on the sofa bed. Saturday, however, is a completely different story.
It had been brought to my attention that it was my good friend James’ birthday and since all he had planned on doing that day was play video games with his brother, I decided to throw him the most ridiculous party in existence. I went to the store, accompanied by Danielle, Lauren, and Ben, and we bought snacks and soda, balloons and streamers, Disney princess napkins, and the gayest looking cookie cake with our own personal birthday wish beautifully done by the disgruntled Schnucks employee whose unusual behavior still baffles us.

Happy Birthday, Jams. We're disappointed in you.
Happy Birthday, Jams. We're disappointed in you.

We returned to the house and started decorating until we found out James would be there soon. Since we knew it would take a while to finish, we blindfolded him with my fancy scarf from Italy and sent him to my room to hide until we were done. After about half an hour of screwing around and throwing around streamers and balloons, we finally let him out and showed him our cake as well as our birthday cards that said, “Happy Birthday, Grandpa!” and “For the loss of your husband…” We then proceeded to cover the cookie in candles without even counting and let him have fun with the trick candles that were apparently pretty cheap. After counting each candle as we pulled them out, we found out we had added an extra twenty-two years to his life. Oops.
Everyone else arrived and we had a grand old time watching silly Nickelodeon movies and destroying decorations, but the fun didn’t stop there. For dinner, we ordered a couple pizzas from Dominos with special delivery instructions: Sing Happy Birthday to James. Originally, we wanted the delivery guy to sing in the metal voice that plays when you select the heavy metal theme for the pizza tracker on their website (and if you haven’t a clue as to what I’m talking about, go to the Dominos website right now and order some pizza!). Unfortunately, I ran out of characters so we had to settle for a plain birthday song. We didn’t even think the guy was going to do it, but we were met with a very pleasant and entertaining surprise when the doorbell rang and we all gathered around the door to watch James receive our dinner.
Kenneth the Pizzaman: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Needless to say, that was pretty much the highlight of the night for everyone and it was then I decided that this was the most amazing birthday party I had ever had the privilege of being a part of. We spent the rest of the night crouched in the blanket fort my friend Sarah had helped me make in my bedroom until everyone left and two more friends were passed out on my sofa bed.
Sunday wasn’t quite as epic as the first two nights, but I enjoyed spending some time with an old high school friend and chatting with Bumm and Ty in my blanket fort. The highlight of that night was driving to House of Wong ten minutes before close for some dinner after watching an episode of Big Bang Theory in which they were arguing over lo mein and dumplings.
I spent the night and most of the next day alone sleeping in the fort and getting ready to see Calvin again. He picked me up in the evening and we drove over to Lauren’s house for tasty food and explosives with all of our friends. With their love of fire and blowing things up, I am entirely surprised that nobody set themselves on fire. Thankfully, no harm was done to anyone or anything and we spent the night staring at pretty lights and choking to death on all kinds of smoke. With all of my amazing friends and making new friends, I can safely say that this year tops every 4th of July I have celebrated in my lifetime. Now let’s see if we can top this one in 2012.
I know I say this a lot, but I love my friends. While I only started hanging out with some of them in the last year or so, they are still some of the best people I know and I love every minute I get to spend with them. And I know this is a little cheesy, but you’re all adults and you can handle it. You are all awesome and you’re not allowed to forget it. So there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a new direction

A look at Jane Austen’s Emma

so yeah…