so yeah…

I am horrible at keeping up with this. I blame school. And work. And myself. Note to self: stop being lame.

Okay…so anyway, here is what’s been going on lately:

Last September, I got hired at Starbucks close to Mom’s office and everything has been great. I work with awesome people, I get to meet and talk to awesome people, and I have learned how to make all of these drinks that people love, including myself. I have gotten much more adventurous than I used to be back in high school. I used to get a hazelnut white mocha, but now it’s too sweet for me. I still can’t drink coffee with flavor or sweetener, but I just bought a French press to try the all the coffee we sell. I’m learning little by little.

We went back to New York in October for a week and were able to see some things that we missed before. We visited Ellis Island, walked across Ground Zero and saw the new memorial, saw the first act of Don Giovanni at the Met, had some yummy pizza in Brooklyn, and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. We also went shopping in SoHo and actually got some good deals. Our apartment was across the street from a theatre that was showing “How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying” starring Daniel Radcliffe, and we actually saw him outside signing autographs on our first night. We also walked by Samuel L. Jackson and Bernadette Peters, but unfortunately we did not get any pictures or autographs. We still have the memories and that’s all that matters.

I started my first semester at UMSL in January and so far it has been amazing. I am taking two literature classes so there’s a lot of reading involved, but I’m reading some really good stuff. I can actually check some things off of my list, so that’s pretty cool. I plan on taking two classes over the summer and then I’m bumping it up to three classes in the Fall. Hopefully I’ll stop being a crappy student and keep my grades up.
Mom just recently finished her last college class and we will be going down to Columbia for her graduation on May 5th, so that’s pretty exciting. I am so proud of her. To celebrate, we spent Spring Break in Mexico, our first ever visit to Central America. We stayed in a small village on the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula where we had a lovely house right on the beach and the opportunity to go snorkeling and scuba diving. We got to see some awesome Mayan ruins and we almost got to Belize, but unfortunately we didn’t have a letter from our rental company allowing us to take the car across the border. Darn. Next time. Personally, I was content with laying around at the house, relaxing on the veranda with a book and a glass of Coke. I managed to finish Mansfield Park and I started The Count of Monte Cristo, which I am loving. I have yet to finish, but I will when finals are over. Next I’ll read Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After, and eventually finish The Chronicles of Narnia series and The Lord of the Rings.

That’s pretty much it, I guess. I’m just trying to survive the end of the semester, greatly anticipating summer. Mom and I are actually moving into a new house at the end of May so that’s pretty exciting. We’re finally getting a house to ourselves with no obnoxious neighbor or loud, screaming kids or traffic noise or giant bells that go off every day. I am very much looking forward to it, but not so much the packing part. I guess we shall see…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a new direction

A look at Jane Austen’s Emma